I am finding that more and more people are struggling with negative, pessimistic, hindering thoughts that keep them from living God’s best life for themselves. In this month’s article, I will share some of the points I mentioned during my May Motivational Coaching Call. I believe that if you are struggling with self-defeating thoughts or have more negative than positive thoughts, then this message is for you.
The first thing you must know is… EVERYTHING starts in the mind. Where you are today is a direct result of the thoughts you have been thinking. The very thoughts you had one, two, or three years ago have brought you to this very place. If you want to change the direction of your life, you MUST change the direction of your thoughts.
Now if everything starts in the mind with a thought or idea, the next question is …
- What type of thoughts do you have?
- What do you think about in a daily basis?
Take a minute to ponder on that…. Keep in mind that on a daily basis we have some 70,000 thoughts that go in and out of our minds. YES you heard right… 70,000!!! With that many how are we to know which ones to pay attention and which ones to let go of… I know many days I feel the same way.
Now let me ask you this…
- Do you think about what you think about?
Let that settle for a few seconds.
- Do you really think about your thoughts?
Or do you just let whatever comes into your head stay, pay rent and take residence? If you answered YES to the latter, that’s part of true problem. You don’t believe you can control and dictate your thoughts. You think that because it shows up you have to let it in and take residence.
Today start being intentional and on purpose about your thoughts.
Proverbs 4:23 in two different translations says…
- Carefully guard your thoughts because they are the source of true life. (CEVDCUS06)
- More than anything you guard, protect your mind, for life flows from it. (CEB)
Where you desire to be in a year will be because of the thoughts you think today. When you make the commitment to think about what you think about, you then have to start renewing your mind daily with the kind of thoughts that propel you into purpose and destiny. Self affirming and catapulting thoughts. What do you say to yourself when no one is looking? If you don’t know then you need to start being more proactive about that. What you think is what you will say. Start saying and meditating day and night on those things that are positive; that are life generating and life affirming; that are purpose propelling and catalytic in your life. You don’t want to keep thinking thoughts that only hold you back or keep you stagnant because of stinking thinkin.
If you aren’t sure if you suffer from stinkin thinkin, here are some examples:
- This is just the way I am
- This is who God made me
- If I was supposed to change I would have changed by now
- I’m too old for this I’m too set in my ways
- This is the way things are supposed to be
- I’ve tried everything and nothing has worked (even though you really didn’t. You tried the first week and when it didn’t turn out the way you thought you quit.)
- I’m tired of trying
- What if it doesn’t work… what if I fail
- It’s sound too good to be true and if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.
- That’s not me that takes too much energy
- What will people, my husband/wife, friends think
- You have been thinking and planning for years but have yet to get started
- It’s never your fault, it’s always someone else
- Maybe they are right… maybe I should have just…
Is this you???
If so, it’s time to change how you think, change what you think about, and make positive self affirming deposits within yourself (affirmations, reading, change your environment of people places and things, have rebuttals).
John Maxwell says, “If you don’t like the crop you are reaping, you need to change the seed you are sowing! You need to start sowing the seed of good thinking?
You may not think so, but IT IS possible to start changing the way you think.
In order to master your thoughts you must…
- Identify negative thoughts and replace them with positive thoughts
- Be more intentional about your thoughts
- Actively and intentionally attain resources available to help you master your thinking and other areas in your life.
You have to start making daily deposits in yourself to really make the changes you need. If you don’t have anything to draw from you get NSF (Non-Sufficient Funds) like in a bank account.
Start investing in yourself. Start investing in books, reading materials, seminars, conferences, a Life Coach, etc. that challenge you to go to the next level in your thinking. Where you are is not where you are supposed to be. You can go so much further! Surround yourself with people who build you up and who challenge you. Iron sharpens iron. Don’t stay complacent with where you are. Always have a desire and yearning to cultivate, nurture and grow personally. Stretch yourself.
Make a firm decision that who you are now is not who you want to be and where you are is not where you desire to be next year. Many times we say, ‘by this time next year, I will be‘ … and when next year arrives you are in the exact same place. You never do anything to make your future dreams and goals manifest. In order to change your thinking, you must identify what has contributed to your current way of thinking. If any of those ‘stinkin thinkin’ examples I gave you sound familiar, it is time for a change.
Let me ask you a few questions…
- Was there something that happened when you were a child that caused you to lock yourself in a box and swear to never come out?
- Who changed your self esteem and intimidated you into thinking that the greatness that resides inside of you doesn’t exist?
- What other people, places and things have you encountered in your life that caused you to give up so quickly without every trying?
- Were you abused, bullied, sheltered, made to feel less than, talked down to or even exposed to people who had drive no passion or zeal.
Do you even know what it is to just take a risk and go for it and try the impossible?
Joyce Meyers states in her book, “Battlefield of the Mind,” “Our past may explain why we’re suffering, but we must not use it as an excuse to stay in bondage.”
If you are asking if there is a way to get past this… YES, there is a way out if you so desire it! Most of our outward behavior is only a result of our inner life. If that inner critic can control your thoughts, he can control your actions… and from the looks of your actions, he may still be controlling your thoughts.
BUT NOT AFTER TODAY!
Whatever it may be, it’s time to put mind over matter and begin the journey to mastering your thoughts, so you can master your life.
Because if …
…you are what you think … what are you?
…if we become what we think… what will become of you?
Yes… think about that…based on your thoughts what are you and what will become of you?
To become more of what you think instead of what just pops into your mind you have to start thinking about what you think about. You must be more intentional about your thinking. You have to start thinking IN purpose and ON purpose.
Here are some ways to think purposefully from Rick Warren, Pastor and Author of the Purpose-Driven Life:
- Satan can’t get your attention when your mind is preoccupied with something else. That’s why the Bible teaches us to fix our thoughts on Jesus (Hebrews 3:1) and to fill our minds with those things that are good and that deserve praise: things that are “true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and honorable.” (Philippians 4:8 TEV)
- When we’re serious about defeating temptation, we will manage our thoughts and monitor our media intake. Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived warned: “Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts.” (Proverbs 4:23 TEV)
- Don’t allow thoughts to run indiscriminately in your mind. Be selective. Choose carefully what you think about. Follow Paul’s model: “We capture every thought and make it give up and obey Christ.” (2 Corinthians 10:5 NCV)
If you aren’t an avid reader, here a few books I’ve read and am reading that deal with the mind to help get you off to a good start:
- Rich Dad Poor Dad – Robert Kiyosaki
- Think and Grow Rich – Napoleon Hill
- Thinking for A Change – John Maxwell
- Battlefield of the Mind – Joyce Meyer
- Secrets of the Millionaire Mind – T. Harv Eker
- As a Man Thinketh- James Allen
- The Holy Bible
Lastly, here is a quote that I closed the call out with:
“Whatever you hold in your mind will tend to occur in your life. If you continue to believe as you have always believed, you will continue to act as you have always acted. If you continue to act as you have always acted, you will continue to get what you have always gotten. If you want different results in your life or your work, all you have to do is change your mind.” ~Unknown
I hope you enjoyed the plethora of content I shared with you from our May Motivational Coaching Call. There are so many people missing out on their best life because they don’t believe they can have it. Remember it starts in the MIND. My prayer is that you will start to master your mind so you can master you life. Now, if you know this isn’t something you can so on your own, head over to my website and check out how we can work together. I’d love to be the catalyst you need to start living life in and on purpose.
Also, don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section. I would love to hear from you. There may be someone who just might be blessed by what you share!
Here’s to you living life IN & On Purpose…
Detra M. Trueheart,
Your Life Empowerment Coach
WELCOME to all of our new subscribers! — Encourage your friends and family by sharing this article and invite others to subscribe to TrueheartWrites.
Sign up for my Monthly Motivational Coaching Calls ==> The next Call is Thursday, June 6th at 8PM.
The call is entitled, Stuck On Stupid: Get Unstuck and Get Out of Your Own Way.
Want to reprint this?
Sure, please feel free to forward TrueheartWrites to friends and colleagues, but please forward in its entirety. TrueheartWrites is written and distributed by TrueheartSpeaks Enterprises.
Detra M. Trueheart is a Speaker and Life Coach. Her company, TrueheartSpeaks Enterprises, is dedicated to helping women break the mold, challenge the status quo and live life IN purpose ON purpose. Learn how Detra can help you create a life beyond the limitations and expectations that hinder you from living life IN & ON purpose: http://www.trueheartspeaks.com.